Vampire Clans

dare

• 51 Posts
2015-03-13 09:50:57 AM
  • In the first nights, so sires tell their childer, the 13 grandchilder of Caine who survived the strife of the First City begot progeny in their own images, passing on their mystic arts and magical curses. Thus were founded the 13 great clans of Kindred that haunt the world to this very night. Century followed century, and each clan developed its own history, traditions and lore. As the Jyhad raged and the Antediluvians retreated into the wastelands, the childer of the clans assumed lordship of the night for themselves.

Here we present the 13 Clans - each claiming descent from a mythical Antediluvian - that comprise the majority of the Children of Caine. Because the Clans by and large align themselves by sect, they are presented so here. Please note, however, that most vampires of Los Angeles have strayed from sect politics and consider themselves Anarchs or Independents, and it'd most likely be wise for those who are agents to the Camarilla or Sabbat to keep that knowledge to themselves.

Each Clan has certain distinguishing strengths and weaknesses, which a member of that Clan is automatically assumed to adopt. While the weakness is a thing of blood, present from the first night a childe is embraced, the Clan strength is practiced and learned. It is possible for vampires to learn the strengths of other clans, or other powers beyond those listed here; if applicable, please note such knowledge the character's application.

Camarilla
    Brujah - rabble, rebels
    Gangrel - outlanders
    Malkavian - lunatics
    Nosferatu - sewer rats
    Toreador - degenerates
    Tremere - warlocks
    Ventrue - blue bloods

Sabbat
    Lasombra - keepers
    Tzimisce - fiends

Independent
    Assamite - assassins
    Followers of Set - serpents, seducers
    Giovanni - necromancers
    Ravnos - deceivers

Leftovers
    Caitiff - trash
    « Last Edit: 2015-04-05 08:26:36 PM by dare »

dare

• 51 Posts
    2015-03-15 12:05:00 PM
  • $i

I’ll give you a head start. You’re the tortoise and I’m the hare — a pissed-off, fuck-the-world hare with a score to settle and a thirst like the devil’s own.

The Brujah (broo'-hah) have the souls of rebels; even clan history holds that their common ancestor is not Brujah himself but his childe, Troile, who defied and consumed her sire in dark diablerie. All that a Brujah does comes with a passion that is both their curse and their blessing. The typical Brujah adopts one or more causes, which they support with volume and vitriol. Some follow the more charismatic members of their clan, while others prefer stances of blatant, defiant individualism. The Rant is their sacred ritual - a mob-like gathering where the loudest voices are heard and a bit of destruction follows. While the clan is notoriously divided between iconoclasts and idealists, they still follow the proverb "I against my sister, my sisters and I against my cousins, my cousins and I against strangers."  If any Kindred not of their blood would oppose a Brujah, they would face the wrath of the whole clan.

Strengths: Harder, better, faster, stronger. Brujah can use the power of their blood to perform extraordinary physical feats; some can lift cars and leap into second story windows.

Weaknesses: The Brujah find it harder than most to deny their inner hunger and the predatory beast within.

$i

« Last Edit: 2015-04-05 08:30:15 PM by dare »

dare

• 51 Posts
    2015-03-15 01:09:34 PM
  • $i

This is not a place for you, and it is too late to turn back. Run, little man.

The Gangrel (gang'-grehl), more than any other clan, resemble the predatory beast that claws at the psyche of every vampire. Wary and aloof, most would prefer to spend their nights stalking prey or wilding on the rooftops than maneuvering through the political games of their cousins. They typically move alone or in small packs, and meet as a clan informally and infrequently when necessity calls. Everything from a cave to a covered alley to an illegal squat may serve as a Gangrel lair, and their nature often sees them eschewing the domain rights of those who don't actively defend their territory.

Strengths: Gangrel are the source for legends of vampires who transform into bats, wolves, and other creatures of darkness. Neonates start by transforming their eyes to see in the dark and growing monstrous claws from their hands, but more powerful members of the clan are known to meld into the earth and even dissipate into mist.

Weaknesses: Gangrel acquire temporary animal characteristics as they hunger, such as a patch of fur, tufted ears, or a snarling voice. These features typically disappear when they feed, but may become permanent if they deny the beast within for too long.

$i

« Last Edit: 2015-03-29 10:45:38 PM by dare »

dare

• 51 Posts
    2015-03-15 01:10:11 PM
  • $i

I was trying to turn water into wine. Where the fuck did all this blood come from? Oh, well — waste not, want not.

The Malkavian (mal-kah'-vee-uhn) are twice damned: once by the curse of being Kindred, and again by the inner turmoil drives each of them insane. While most mortals (and immortals) view the world through a clouded looking-glass, the Malkavian sees all through a spotless, shattered mirror. Only they know whether it's the distorted perspective or the knowledge of some dark and forbidden truth that warps their hearts and minds. As a clan, the Malkavian are both hopelessly disorganized and yet unified in purpose. Stories abound of spontaneous Malkavian gatherings brought about by hundreds of disparate insights. Whether they are linked by some sort of mystical hive consciousness or merely puppets dancing on strings for Malkav himself, the truth of their nature is one mystery that eludes even the keen sighted.

Strengths: Malkavians possess supernatural senses; their ears can detect lies, their eyes can tell the nature of a person, and their touch can read minds. The most powerful among them can project their senses outside their bodies entirely, to experience worlds far away in both time and place.

Weaknesses: All members of Clan Malkavian suffer from at least one permanent, incurable derangement.

$i
    « Last Edit: 2015-04-01 01:36:15 PM by dare »

dare

• 51 Posts
    2015-03-15 01:11:17 PM
  • $i

Nobody down here but us boogeymen. Hey, whose head is this?

The Nosferatu (nos'-fur-ah'-too) are the most visibly cursed of all Kindred, warped by undeath into hideously deformed creatures. Though stereotyped as the most humane of all undead, despite (or, perhaps, partially due to) their monstrous appearance, the truth is that only the most personable of these outcasts stray from their fortified lairs in the sewers and ghettos of Los Angeles. They are, perhaps, the most loyal of all the clans, and build up large support structures to provide food, havens, and other resources to those of their blood. Their vast clan networks have given the Nosferatu a reputation for being spymasters and information brokers, and they have created their own computer network parallel to the internet (ShreckNET) specifically for the exchange of intelligence.

Strengths: The Nosferatu are masters of concealment, capable of mind tricks that can disguise their grim visage or lead their prey into thinking they've vanished into nothing but air. They also possess some small affinity with vermin and other lowly creatures of the world.

Weaknesses: Each Nosferatu is disfigured in such a way that makes their curse obvious.

$i
    « Last Edit: 2015-04-01 12:52:26 PM by dare »

dare

• 51 Posts
    2015-03-15 01:11:58 PM
  • $i

Long after you die, I will still be young, beautiful, and adored by everyone whose life I touch.

The Toreador (tor'-ey-ah-dohr') are known to often involve themselves in the affairs of mortals, more so than any other clan. For some, this means creating a false identity filled with friends, lovers, and a "day" jobs; others merely cultivate a veritable cult of doting followers. The clan itself is notoriously cliquish, and its members have two favourite derisive epithets to throw about: Artiste is reserved for the creatives who sequester themselves away and toil endlessly in search of a masterpiece they can no longer summon the inspiration for. Poseur is the label for those socialites who lack artistic skill but were instead embraced to preserve their beauty or some other quality.

Strengths: A Toreador's presence alone can awe, fascinate, and entrance those around them. Some are even capable of summoning others to their side, no matter the distance they must travel, with little more than a thought.

Weaknesses: Toreador are enraptured by true beauty - whether a person, an objet d'art, or an experience - and can find themselves totally enthralled until disturbed or the thing has passed.

$i
    « Last Edit: 2015-03-29 12:59:16 AM by dare »

dare

• 51 Posts
    2015-03-15 01:12:35 PM
  • $i

When the world refuses to give, he who makes himself a master of the world may still take.

The Tremere (treh-meer) are a young clan when compared to their cousins. Once mere mortal sorcerers, they are said to have made a bargain (or wrought a spell, or discovered a curse, depending on who you ask) that changed them into the vampires they are. Some claim they stole the Curse from a slumbering Antediluvian, or that they concocted a their flawed immortality from the stolen blood of other vampires. They are notorious for living in cult-like chantries, from where they enforce a rigid hierarchy known as "the pyramid" and present a unified face to those outside the clan.

Strengths: The Tremere are the creators, practitioners, and jealous hoarders of the blood magic colloquially known as Thaumaturgy. For them, blood is both sustenance and a source of mystical power. These powers are as much a product of innate ability as they are years of diligent research and practice. Most thaumaturges choose to specialize in some form or another; it is simply more efficient to learn incantations that utilize and build upon techniques previously mastered.

Weaknesses: Tremere dependency on blood is even more pronounced than that of other vampires, making them easier to become blood bound. The elders of the clan know this, and impart loyalty by enforcing regular rituals where their progeny drink of their transubstantiated blood. These elders form one of the pillars of the Camarilla; any who break from this ritual or their will are, at best, exiled and severed from the vast knowledge of the clan. Most are hunted down and shown the sun.

$i

« Last Edit: 2015-03-28 11:10:55 PM by dare »

dare

• 51 Posts
    2015-03-15 01:12:59 PM
  • $i

There is no shame to bending the knee to one such as myself, so pay your fucking tribute before I lose my temper.

The Ventrue (vehn'-troo) consider themselves the oldest clan; they are almost certainly the proudest. Its members work hard to maintain a reputation for honor, genteel behavior, and leadership. A sense of noblesse oblige has long pervaded the clan, accompanied by the genuine belief that the Ventrue know what's best for everyone. They not only consider themselves the oldest clan, but see themselves as the enforcers of tradition and the rightful leaders of vampire society. As a clan, they are widely considered the central pillar of the Camarilla and, to some extent, the Masquerade, though that hasn't stopped some of their younger members from seeking to forge their own kingdoms out of the chaos that is a free California.

Strengths: Ventrue carry an unearthly authority; they are capable of inspiring terror with only their gaze and compelling the weak of will to do their bidding with only a word.

Weaknesses: Ventrue are known to have exacting and rarefied tastes; they do not gain sustenance from the blood of animals or those that they consider degenerates. Some cater to even more refined palates, such that they will only feed on the blood of men, the blood of senators, or the blood of mousy young women who remind them of Audrey Hepburn.

$i
    « Last Edit: 2015-03-30 02:40:04 AM by dare »

dare

• 51 Posts
    2015-03-15 01:14:05 PM
  • $i

Wielding the shadows is an extension of controlling the darkness into which we are all Embraced.

The Lasombra (luh-sohm'-bra) are the rightful rulers of all they can bring to heel. Whereas the Ventrue make inflated claims of supremacy via their founder's lineage, the Lasombra claim dominance by being the first who managed to slay their Antediluvian founder. Traditionally the statesmen of the Sabbat, they are known for appearing sophisticated and elegant while being enthusiastically predatory. They are unapologetically backstabbing and power-hungry - to the Lasombra, power belongs to those who can seize it, and they are just arrogant enough to believe that theirs is the strongest grip. They are one of the few clans to accept diablerie; Lasombra are allowed - if not flat-out encouraged - to cannibalize their fellow clan-mates after proving evidence of their weakness or incompetence to one of the clan's Courts of Blood.

Strengths: The Lasombra have given themselves wholly over to the Abyss, and can court its shadows. They can mold shadow into creatures of nightmare or temporary objects. Particularly strong or regular users of this power will find that animals and humans alike feel uneasy in their presence, and may find the shadows beginning to move of their own, devilish accord.

Weaknesses: Lasombra cast no reflection in mirrors, bodies of water, or other polished surfaces, nor do they appear in photographs. This extends to the clothes they wear and objects they carry.
    $i

« Last Edit: 2015-04-02 11:39:35 PM by dare »

dare

• 51 Posts
    2015-03-15 01:14:28 PM
  • $i

Why on earth would you think I wanted you to stop screaming? I find the results so much more melodious when you indulge your fear.

The Tzimisce (tzuh-mee'-see) have left the human condition behind gladly, and now focus on transcending the limitations of their vampiric state. Polite, intelligent, and inquisitive at first, spend any length of time with a Tzimisce and it will become clear that their seemingly pleasant nature is simply a mask hiding something alien and monstrous underneath. In fact, as soon as they are capable, most Tzimisce use the clan's signature power to shape themselves into something beyond human - paragons of beauty or horror. Fortunately for the masquerade, the stereotypical Tzimisce is an incredibly solitary creature, content to spend centuries locked away in grand, medieval-style manors staffed by entire families of mortal subjects.

Strengths: The Tzimisce are unique in how much their culture is centered around their power of Vicissitude, which allows them to shape flesh and blood (both living and unliving) into practically any shape they can think of. For instance, Tzimisce tend to deform their mortal servants into beast-like guardians with bone plating and spiked forearms, though true masters are capable of fusing multiple victims into mammoth killing machines.

Weaknesses: When a Tzimisce sleeps, they must surround themselves with at least two handfuls of earth from a place important to them as a mortal. Failure to do so will leave them increasingly weakened each night until they do.

$i
    « Last Edit: 2015-04-03 12:08:38 AM by dare »

dare

• 51 Posts
    2015-03-15 01:15:05 PM
  • $i

Your blood is anathema to me, but the act of spilling it brings me closer to Haqim.

The Assamites (ah-sahm'-iyt) are guardians, warriors, and scholars who take pride in being self-sufficient and free from burdensome ties to the other clans. Once strongly unified and based in their hidden fortress known as Alamut, the Children of Haqim have been scattered since falling to the Camarilla in the 15th century. Now they are mostly known for being murderous assassins, used by other Kindred to slay rivals, enforce blood hunts, and scourge undesirable childer. Their price for this work is the vitae of other Kindred, which they are expected to tithe back to their elders and the clan's sorcerers to aid their search for a way to remove the curse on their blood.

Strengths: Assamites have a mystical affinity with blood, traditionally used to weaken the powers of vampires they hunt and pass judgement on. They can also leave emotions and memories in a mortal's veins and turn their own blood into a debilitating poison. Some of the clan's more scholarly members have learned to harness this affinity as a way to unlock a spiritual form of blood magic known as Dur-An-Ki.

Weaknesses: Assamite skin grows darker with age. In addition, due to a Tremere blood-curse meant to keep them under the heel of the Camarilla, Assamites cannot benefit from ingesting vampire blood, and suffer magical effects akin to poisoning should they do so.

$i
    « Last Edit: 2015-04-04 07:17:17 PM by dare »

dare

• 51 Posts
    2015-03-15 01:15:33 PM
  • $i

I know what you need.

The Setites (set'-iyts) are as much a cult as they are an ancient bloodline. Also known as the Children of the Rebellion, they believe that their founder was the Egyptian god Set, and that he will one day return to rule or consume the world. To that end, they prepare the way for his resurrection, practicing corruption, deceit, and ancient sorcery to achieve their ends. They form grand, secretive temples and teach the mysteries of their faith to prospective childer before embracing them. While individual Setites may seduce, corrupt, or otherwise influence Kindred of other clans to serve their ends, as a clan the Followers of Set find it most beneficial to remain neutral in the eternal struggle between clans.

Strengths: Setites learn powers believed to be the legacy of Set himself - a gift to his children. They're known to use the hypnotic gaze of the serpent, turn their skin to scaly hides, and some can even transform into giant cobras. Their priests practice Akhu, a magic that is near-identical to that of mortal Egyptian sorcerers involving images, effigies, and words of power.

Weaknesses: Followers of Set are sensitive to bright light (police spotlights, stage lights, flares, etc.) and burn twice as quickly as other vampires under sunlight.

$i

« Last Edit: 2015-04-05 12:31:16 AM by dare »

dare

• 51 Posts
    2015-03-15 01:15:57 PM
  • $i

You misunderstand the situation if you think you’re important to me alive.

The Giovanni (joh-vah'-nee) are a clan embraced exclusively from the Venetian merchant family of the same name. From birth, each Giovanni lives to serve their immortal ancestors, and are kept breathing only until they've proven worthy of immortality or until they've had the chance to produce offspring. Some may never earn the gift, and some only do so later in life, leading to frequent, bizarre relationships in which fathers and grandmothers are their own descendants' childer. Often despised and considered to be incestuous degenerates by the other clans, the Giovanni pursue their ambitions undeterred, remaining independent and strong with their vast stores of wealth and knowledge of forbidden arts.

Strengths: The Giovanni are known for practicing necromancy, though even among vampires the practice is shunned. Common spells include communing with ghosts, animating corpses, and

Weaknesses: The bite of a Giovanni causes excruciating pain; if the Giovanni isn't careful, their vessel may die of shock or agony before being wholly exsanguinated. As a result, they often prefer to feed from blood banks, already-dead corpses, and other sources that can't fight as much.

$i
    « Last Edit: 2015-04-05 07:59:50 PM by dare »

dare

• 51 Posts
    2015-03-15 01:16:23 PM
  • $i

What? Those aren’t bones. They’re wind chimes. Everything is going to be fine. Relax.

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

$i

« Last Edit: 2015-03-30 02:40:47 AM by dare »

dare

• 51 Posts
    2015-03-15 01:16:49 PM
  • $i

... Fuck.

The Caitiff (kaye-tiff) are not technically a clan at all, but rather a catch-all for the world's clanless wretches. Some believe that they are the result of an embrace gone wrong, others claim they are simply too many generations removed from the progenitor. Regardless of reason, the resulting Caitiff are notably weak of blood and often tossed aside, if not destroyed, by their makers. While some manage to carve and claw their way to positions of renown and respect, as a whole they are humiliated, denegrated, and treated as persona non grata by clanned vampires. Given that, it's no wonder that many travel to Free California hoping for a better unlife among overpopulated anarchy.

Strengths: Caitiff benefit from no clan strength. Provided diligence, time, and instruction, they can learn the strengths of any other clan, but they will always be limited by their thin blood.

Weaknesses: Caitiff blood is not as potent as that of other vampires of equal age and generation.

$i

« Last Edit: 2015-04-05 12:31:23 AM by dare »